December 9, 2012

It Has Begun!

For sometime now I have wanted to start an official blog, unlike those premature attempts on Myspace and Facebook, where I posted random thoughts about this and that from time to time.  No, this time I wanted something different, something where I would really have to be disciplined about it and begin blogging and discussing my ideas with the larger community.  Now with so many different blogs out there discussing a wide variety of topics, why another?

First, this blog is going to be a place where I can share my ideas, my latest theological projects, and my reading lists.  It is essentially the place where I can have a public conversation with people.

Second, it is going to help keep me accountable to reading.  The most valuable thing I have taken away from each blog that I have read in the past are the book reviews.  Every time I see someone posting on a new, or even perhaps an old book, that they are reading brings me excitement.  It helps me to know what is out there, what people are into at the moment, and quite possibly if I have read that book already what they have seen in it that I may not have.  This critical engagement with the literature is one of the primary reasons I would like to begin blogging.

Third, from time to time I get into theological projects.  While working through these I mostly have myself and my wife as a dialogue partner.  Therefore, as my professor once said, "The goal of school is to make you into better thinkers.  Therefore, if you want to become better thinkers you must become better writers because it is in writing that you have to actually organize and work out your thoughts.  So I want this to be a place where I can exercise my thoughts in community and dialogue with others so that I can become a better thinker and writer.

Looking forward to the conversations ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment